This week, we let Amy and Tina take over EW — and they clearly took the job very seriously, as you can see from their opening letter to readers:
"If you are reading this ‘Letter From the Guest Editors,’ it probably means you have read all the other parts of the magazine at least five times and are in some kind of isolated and desperate situation. If it’s a bathroom emergency, try elevating your feet on an upturned wastebasket. If you are in the trunk of a drug lord’s car, try doing that thing Walter White does where he throws chemicals at the ground and they explode."
Cattlin’s Favorite Albums of 2013!
I don’t really have a ton to say about these (besides #1) that hasn’t already been said by most music critics so I’m just gonna list them (plus I have some honorable mentions. this was a fantastic year for music). Let me know if you need a download for any of them, more than happy to oblige.
1. Fall Out Boy - Save Rock and RollWell, if you had told me this a year ago I would have never believed you. I can’t believe some of my favorite boys came back from hiatus without anyone knowing and delivered a killer album that reminded everyone that they weren’t just a flash in the pan kind of group. On a pure emotional level, no album hit me harder.
2. HAIM - Days Are Gone
3. Janelle Monae - The Electric Lady
4. CHVRCHES - The Bones of What You Believe
5. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
6. Various Artists - Django Unchained Soundtrack
7. Arctic Monkeys - AM
8. Tegan and Sara - Heartthrob
9. Kanye West - Yeezus
10. Lorde - Pure Heroine
I made the mistake of watching this at work and now I’m all teary. I can be kind of a grump about the holidays but surprise gifts always get me.